Web Content Viewer
Gavel raised at an auction

State and Federal Surplus Services

The general public can bid on surplus items including vehicles via online auction. To do so, you must first register to bid on GovDeals. Eligible state agencies, government entities and non-profits who are members may buy surplus items.

State Surplus Program

The State Surplus Property Program receives excess property from state agencies and sells the property to eligible recipients. Property not disposed of in this manner is sold to the general public at auction.

The following organizations are eligible to purchase surplus property: (1) state agencies; (2) state-supported or state-assisted institutions of higher education; (3) tax-supported agencies, municipal corporations or other political subdivisions of the state, private fire companies, or private, nonprofit emergency medical service organizations; (4) nonpublic elementary and secondary schools chartered by the state Board of Education; and (5) eligible nonprofit organizations.
Program Benefits

The program provides a source of supply at prices considerably lower than what is available from other suppliers. Vehicles are sold at 45% of JD Power retail value, while other property is priced well below original acquisition price as well.


All purchases made by state agencies are paid through an Intrastate Transfer Voucher (ISTV). Payments for non-state agencies must be made via organization check, payable to “Treasurer, State of Ohio,” in the amount shown on the invoice. Mail to: Ohio Department of Administrative Services, L-3686, Columbus, OH  43260-3686. Vehicle titles are not transferred until full payment is received.

Get Started!

Register to become a member by completing an online membership application.

Federal Surplus Program

The federal government makes federal surplus property available to the states after it remains unclaimed by federal agencies and other organizations. The property is usually made available at military installations. After acquiring federal surplus property, the state transfers it to eligible customers (i.e., "donees") for a service fee. Federal surplus property is not available to the general public.

Turn-In & Pick-Up Services

To turn-in surplus property, complete the appropriate request online by property type: