Welcome to the Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)/Encouraging Diversity, Growth & Equity (EDGE) Unit. The Unit has the responsibility for implementing the State of Ohio's minority business set-aside program. This includes certifying minority businesses thereby making them eligible to participate in the state's set aside program, as well as assisting state agencies with the selection of set aside contracts, maintaining a list of certified minority business enterprises, monitoring program compliance, and conducting research & reporting. Additionally, the unit implements the EDGE program, which is designed to facilitate access to state government contracts and business services for EDGE certified businesses. The EDGE program establishes goals for state agencies in awarding contracts to certified EDGE businesses. EDGE procurement contracts apply to: goods and services, professional services, information technology services, construction, architecture and engineering.
Here are some of the basic guidelines of the programs:
1) Is your company a "for profit" business?
2) Has your company been in business for at least one year?
3) Is your company owned and controlled by a minority (MBE) or a person of social disadvantage
4) Does that person own 51% of the company?
5) Is that person an Ohio resident and U.S. citizen?
6) Does that person have a personal net worth of less than $250,000? (applicable to EDGE only)
If you can answer yes to questions above, you might qualify to become certified as either an MBE or EDGE business (or both). To fill out an application through the Ohio Business Gateway, please click here. If this is your first time accessing the Ohio Business Gateway, please note that you will need to create a username and password in order to submit an application.
For questions or concerns, please utilize the staff roster and contact a Contract Officer/Specialist from the list below. If you need additional assistance, please contact our office at 614.466.8380.
- Apply for MBE and/or EDGE Certification (via "unified application")
Certified MBE Search
Certified EDGE Search
(i.e., required documentation checklists, FAQs, Program Overview, CSI and UNSPC Codes, Statutes, etc.)
(i.e., required documentation checklists, FAQs, Program Overview, Statutes, HubZone Map, etc.)
MBE/EDGE Certified Business "Tool Kit"
(i.e., view Agency Inclusion Plans, Agency MBE/EDGE EEO Officers, etc.)
PLEASE NOTE: All forms must be electronically submitted through the Ohio Business Gateway (OBG). Please reference the following instructions when filing forms to EOD. If you have any questions, please contact our office at 614.466.8380.
- EOD will not receive an application unless the "check out" process is completed on the OBG website and the contractor receives a confirmation number. Please refer to the instructions above for how to properly check out a form on OBG.
- Although the check out process includes a button that reads "Checkout (Ready to File and Pay))," please note that there is NO FEE required to submit a form to EOD when you click the button. EOD forms are completely FREE to submit.
- A confirmation number will be provided if the form is successfully checked out on OBG.
- EOD will receive an application the following business day.
- EOD will be unable to process a MBE and/or EDGE application or cross-certification until supporting documentation is received in the office.